Thursday, May 31, 2012

What to improve -- Maxwell's third thought.


The 3rd “thought on life” that John Maxwell shared with us at Catalyst Dallas:

In abilities, work on your strengths,
In matters of choice, work on your weaknesses.

Although this is becoming a more popular thought in self-improvement, this is counter-intuitive for most of us.  Going through school I was always taught to get better at the things at which I am not good.  Maxwell makes a pretty compelling argument of why that is not necessarily the best option.

In abilities, work on your strengths.
In things that it takes a natural ability to ever be a master, you should work on your strengths.  If you rate yourself a 2 (out of 10) in something, then (unless you are the exception) you will probably never be an 8, 9, or 10.  However, if you are naturally a 5 or 6 at something, then over time, with practice and learning, you can become a 9 or 10. “God will never hold you accountable for a gift you don’t have.”

And of course if I know I am weak in a certain area, I am going to try to add someone to my team that is stronger in that area, to make up for my weaknesses. 

Also, if it is something I am passionate about, my level of ability will not stop me from working on it for my own enjoyment. I am still determined that one day I will play the guitar even though I can’t change chords and strum at the same time. I also enjoy playing recreational racquetball and volleyball, I will probably never be better than a “B” player, but I enjoy these things and they are for my personal fulfillment.

In matters of choice, work on your weaknesses.
In things at which you can choose to be better, work on your weakness.  Maxwell’s examples were Attitude and Discipline.  In both of these areas, with determination and focus you can go from a 1 to a 10.  IF I have a bad attitude or a lack of self-discipline, then over time with learning and practice I can become a 10.  We can choose to put different behaviors into our lives that will help us develop these things and go from bad to Great.

As someone who has wrestled with self-discipline most of my life, I was greatly encouraged by this for one reason: IT IS TRUE.  With help and some coaching I am turning my lack of discipline around.  I have always had just enough discipline to get by, but never enough to excel. As an example I look at my low High School GPA, 2.35 (inflated by several credits of band and other electives that were always A’s).  It was just enough to scrape by and graduate.  With work and help I have become much better and am still improving daily. 



What are your thoughts/reactions to this?  Do you know of an exception? In matters of abilities do you spend more time on your strengths or your weaknesses? Do you have a way of working on your weakness in the matters of choice category?  How many of you have someone who intentionally helps improve your life?  

1 comment:

  1. You told me some of this before. But here the part that really sticks out is "surrounding yourself with a team" of people who complement you. I like that. Our tendency is to go at it alone, but even some of the best people who recognize their need for teammates, tend to pick teammates most LIKE themselves. It is comfortable.

    Here's a thought I ran across talking to a friend the other night. I think maybe Ive been going about the ministry search all wrong. When we go to a church of, say, 100 people, and interview, we ask all these questions about leadership, structure, visions, goals, finances, blah blah blah- We are focusing on the whole group of 100. Which is really not that important (dont say that to your group of 100 this sunday). But that I mean is, that group of 100 is not going to all be defining your life and ministry. Even though being a preacher is not about YOUR LIFE and ministry, you cant be effective to that group if youre not living in rhythm in your own daily life.

    Think about our concentric circles of family. We cant be fully functioning as OURSELVES without healthy circles - our inner circle of 3, our circles of 12, 72, and 5000. The most important circle I would think is my circle of 3, and of course, next, 12. Maybe in ACTUAL LIFE the question over where I would be best used for the kingdom may be- who would be my circle of 3, and my circle of 12? Where could I go that would place me and my family in a GOOD healthy circle of 3 and 12? And to a lesser extent, the 100 that attend that church.

    It becomes a little difficult when we dont even know a single person there. But I do think that even in one interview weekend, you can search for these people just as easily as you would be able to gauge the entire group of 100.

    ReplyDelete