Monday, May 28, 2012

How do I value others? Maxwell thought #2

I am Sharing my notes from the CatalystDallas conference


The second “thought on life” that Maxwell shared with us was:

Intentionally add value to others every day.

a.     The normal in our world is “Who will add value to me?”
b.    To add value to people you must value people.
c.     We either value or devalue people, there is no middle.
d.    Try to see Jesus as a value-er of people.
e.     Every morning ask yourself specifically.
                                                    i.     Who can I add value to today?
                                                  ii.     How can I do that?
f.      Every night ask yourself.
                                                    i.     Who did I add value to today?
                                                  ii.     How did I do it?

There are two kinds of people—
Those that lift others up, and those that lean down on others.

I am glad that he bases this on Christ.  And it was probably in this context that he stated that if we help others, others will help us.  It is all about adding value to others, and when we do this people will want to help us.  Others helping us is a byproduct of something we all should do anyway, but it is not the reason we do it. 

I like most of what Maxwell says.  HE reminds us that for most people this doesn't just happen, but you must be intentional and MAKE it happen.  Making yourself ask these two questions every morning and evening, causes you to start thinking intentionally

How do you add value to people? Do you do it intentionally? or it just in your nature? Are you naturally someone who lifts others up or leans down on others? If I am naturally a leaner, how do I become a lifter?

1 comment:

  1. I add value to people by commenting on their blog and making it look like they have more followers.

    No, really, I like what you have to say- pretty basic, but something Ive struggled to do. I can't seem to shake it- every time I try to go about my day selflessly, adding value to others, it seems that later that day I find myself frustrated still because somebody in my world isnt helping the universe revolve around me. I have found that the more healthy time I spend with God alone in the mornings, the easier it seems to be. Not just because I am reminded of God's presence in my life, but there seems to be an, almost, supernatural help with clarity of vision.

    I am interested in hearing more about how there is no middle ground- either we are or arent adding value to others. Because if you had asked me, I would say, yeah, sometimes I do, sometimes I dont. Sometimes I kind of do, etc. Expound wise sir.

    ReplyDelete